Pardon the dust:
I am moving to a new blog. Will resume all blogging activities @ http://esversion.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

After a very enjoyable time in Kansas visiting family this past weekend, I experienced the most joyous and convicting flight home. While flying, I have a tendency to want to talk with the person beside me but I will almost never begin the conversation. Call it shy or polite or whatever you will but this flight I was greeted by a very lovely woman filled with the Holy Spirit.

After we talked about each others background and family, we began discussing more spiritual matters. It was not long for both of us to discover our similar beliefs. We were both FIVE-point Calvinists (to distinguish from those petty 4 & overachieving 7 pointers *cough*Piper*cough*...which we joked about). Though she admittedly was a 'closet' Calvinist, it was for the best. I was excited for this fact after she told me that she taught and lead womens bible studies and wove in Reformed teachings throughout.

It was about mid-flight that she caught me off guard. "So Elijah," she says, "what are you struggling with spiritually?" I weaken and crumble at such direct questioning. Though innocent of the crime, if interrogated I will confess; bottom line. Anyone who knows me is aware that I will smile or smirk if I am accused of doing something, especially if I didn't actually do it. It is like multiple sneezes; I cannot help myself. Anyways, I told her the truth and we went on from there. Though it began awkward, the funny thing is I wanted to tell her all my problems, worries and concerns. She quickly went from a stranger to a sister in the Lord. The only problem was it was only a 2.5 hour flight.

Then I was severely convicted. She began telling me of her recent proficiency in memorizing Scripture, by the book. And her memorization partner was an 80 year old women. I flashed to thoughts of my Bible memory and quickly became ashamed. Though I gave her an excuse, I knew the truth. I knew little because I tried little. We touched down at LAX with me reviewing her xeroxed pages of the Book of Hebrews as she relayed to me the first 2 chapters - word for word.

Oh Lord, please help me to overcome my spiritual lethargy so that I may be a disciple better equipped for furthering your Kingdom and Glory!

Beverly - Thank you! You and your new baby granddaughter are in my prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Thanks for the reminder, boy, I think we could all use it. I know I've been feeling convicted about a lot of the same things lately as well. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome man. I have had a couple of those flights as well, but not nearly as deep. But still rewarding all the same. God is good to us.

    ReplyDelete